Saturday, December 30, 2006

The trojan war, ransom of red chief, to sir with love etc,....

The other day me and my colleague baba were discussing some school level stuff....
baba? is it his nickname? yes, at work we nicknamed him "baba", because he gives all those philosophical fundaes..not those oldies type fundaes...but the most modern level ones....and too good and funny ones... :)
newayz... we were discussing the school level text book stuff...he and me were students of the state board of education and had read the same english text books through our 6-10th classes..
it really wondered me that he remembered most of the stories (lessons to be exact) that we had read for 5 years....
we read some really beautiful stories...that were so small..that would fit into 3-4 pages..but that had so much to gain from....
one story that I read in my 6th class was, "The Trojan war"...I think this book was the one that set me off onto all the novels and stories that I have ever read uptill now..
This book had so much influence on me that I had refused to watch the movie "Troy", because the plot of the movie differs from what I had read in the text book...considering I'm a big time fan of Brad Pitt's movies...

Those text books introduced me to a lot of new words...some of them were "coincidental", "circumstantial", "wild goose chase" , "yankee" and many more....
I've read a story about Christian Bernard, the first person to do a human heart transplant..."the ransom of red chief" by O.Henry....about the life of boy who had burnt his feet, but later went on to break olympic records in athletics.....about "the night the bed fell", a story which talks about the confusion created when the author fell off from his bed and the bed overturned.... about a man who had to clean a room thrice to get an admission to a prestigious colleage (a real story!).....about how to behave in a class room ...
the last one is from "To Sir with Love" by E.R.Braithwaite..... when I read the entire book later...it was awesome..but, i was so dumb to loose the book :(...
Though, I had read only abridged versions of most of these stories...they have a lot of message.. and so appropriate for the pupils of that particular age...
Though, I don't want to go back to that age.....as many ppl would want to ....I'd definitely want to read all those stories again and probably again..and still those stories would not go stale for me...

4 comments:

Anunay Gupta said...

hmmm.. old school stories.. i hardly remember the Trojan story.. tell me wht was different from the original one and the one in the movie.. ?

I remember only one school story that was by O.Henry.. name... huh.. something on maple leaf.. naam bhi bhool gaya :(

Ravindra Rajaram said...

trojan story from my text book goes like this:
achillies kills hector and Troy family is in mourning and halt the war for a couple of days..as there is no war..the armies on both sides engage in a friendly games and competitions...in one of the competitions (horse racing) achillies is shot in the heel by Paris ...and achillies dies after a oozing a lot of blood...
the entire 'Trojan Horse' stuff is planned by Ulysses and achillies never involved in this part (as he is already dead by then ;) )

Anunay Gupta said...

Oh! I saw the same story recently on History channel,.. now that you also have corroborated the same, huh, the movie was a farce [although I liked it!!]

Ravindra Rajaram said...

the movie as such would have been gr8..like all the period movies. And, of course, Brad Pitt would be the reason, y most ppl want 2 watch the movie..